Re: gEDA-user: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 12:09:01 -0600, John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With the exception of the flow from gschem to layout in another
> suite, which works radically well. How to generalize? Well, if you
> want to export schematics instead of just netlists and BOM's, a
> gnetlist back end needs access to all the schematic data, not just a
> subset. The barrier here is all of the unnecessarily hard-wired
> behavior in the gnetlist front end.

One project I've had in mind for a while is to write a "geda-netlist"
program in (almost) pure Scheme, which when run as "gnetlist" behaves the
same as the current C gnetlist, but when run as "geda-netlist" uses new
backends which have a lot more access to the netlist internals in order to
get full control over the way that the schematics and symbols are
processed.

This is one of those things that I will do "Soon" (tm).

Peter ;-)

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Remote Sensing Research Group