Re: gEDA-user: New icon set and UI changes

Hi,

I think your icons look nice, but as you stated, the text in them is superfluous
and should be in tooltips. I have no problem with non-square buttons, should
this help you to conserve space and clarity.

The "buffer"-icon I would believe to be "insert". So I suggest to use 2 or 3
parts, ev. old-style resistors or a mix, that can be recognized when shrunk,
to symbolize the multitude of parts normally in a buffer.

I see no reason to modify the layer switcher appart from allowing for burried/blind vias. If layers are modified, I suggest adding copper thickness for 3D and ev. a material (are there silver or aluminium layers anywhere? how about steel cores?) The thickness of insulator
prepregs may be of interest as well.

I'd like to have more route styles, but linking them to the layers doesn't make much sense
for me.

One of the most anoying things in the GUI is the coordinate display with "35.4999" and "48.0001" if one is operating on mm-grids. While it may not be mathematically correct, I'd accept an error of 0.1um to get "round numbers" - that is numbers that fall on the current grid spacing, if they are not more than 0.1um off - if the current odd numbers are due to the internal storage in 10e-5 inch, I believe the conversion to internal fixed point to be wrong. - The number that is closest to the finest possible metric grid is correct in my opinion and this should round correctly to any coarser grid. If nothing else helps, use one more digit of precision or one
less digit of display (with fabs aligning to 0.05mm, who needs 0.0001 ?).

Why is the grid size in "view" and not in "settings" etc.?

I'm very much for consistent handling in gschem and pcb, esp. the mouse button for panning. If this is configurable I'd be happy with an alternative default settings file that's documented.

What the... is the bu... with "Request for bounding box of unsupported type 1024" if one is going to move the refdes of a part (inadvertently ), popping up in a huge window and then the autopan starts to move like wild and can't be stopped in any controlled way!
Imo, that's much more important to fix than any icons or widget placements.

Believing this to be more than €0.02 ;-)

Armin

Andrew Poelstra wrote:
Hey all,

I have drawn a new icon set for PCB. Screenshot here:
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9031/pcbicons.png

I am happy to provide a patch to use these icons by default - however, I have a few concerns:
  1. They will likely take up too much space on low resolutions. Does anyone do CAD on low-res monitors?
  2. Even with decent resolution, they take up a lot of horizontal space with the default view.

Thoughts? Comments?

A couple other ideas I have:
  * replacing the layer switcher with one similar to GIMP's (select box with icons for visibility/locked)
  * doing something similar with the route-style switcher, showing the line and via sizes in the select list

I'm happy to do the work for these changes, but would there be popular support for such intrusive UI changes?

Just throwing this out there.
Andrew