gEDA-user: New icon set and UI changes

Hey all,

I have drawn a new icon set for PCB. Screenshot here:
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9031/pcbicons.png

I am happy to provide a patch to use these icons by default - however, I have a few concerns:
  1. They will likely take up too much space on low resolutions. Does anyone do CAD on low-res monitors?
  2. Even with decent resolution, they take up a lot of horizontal space with the default view.

Thoughts? Comments?

A couple other ideas I have:
  * replacing the layer switcher with one similar to GIMP's (select box with icons for visibility/locked)
  * doing something similar with the route-style switcher, showing the line and via sizes in the select list

I'm happy to do the work for these changes, but would there be popular support for such intrusive UI changes?

Just throwing this out there.
Andrew