Re: gEDA-user: New icon set and UI changes

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 12:39 -0700, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have drawn a new icon set for PCB. Screenshot here:
> http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9031/pcbicons.png
>
> I am happy to provide a patch to use these icons by default - however,
> I have a few concerns:
>   1. They will likely take up too much space on low resolutions. Does
> anyone do CAD on low-res monitors?
>   2. Even with decent resolution, they take up a lot of horizontal
> space with the default view.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

For large boards (http://www.ssalewski.de/b1.png) I like to have much
room for the PCB available -- so your icons may indeed  consume too much
space. Is there an option to turn of text? For pcb 2009 snapshot icons
are at the left side, I think this may be better, because many monitors
now are 16/9 form factor, width screen. It would be fine to leave no
room unoccupied, i.e below layers icons, maybe you should try to propose
a complete now screen layout?

> A couple other ideas I have:
>   * replacing the layer switcher with one similar to GIMP's (select
> box with icons for visibility/locked)

Again, we should not waste space. The current layout may not look
"great" but it is compact, we have color indicator, text and toggle
button on the same area. I know layouts which waste much room.

>   * doing something similar with the route-style switcher, showing the
> line and via sizes in the select list

Please note, our long term goal is to have not 4 route styles, but
styles associated with layers, so we select layer17 and have 4 mil
traces, with 6 mil clearance, and 75 Ohm impedance for layer2...

> I'm happy to do the work for these changes, but would there be popular
> support for such intrusive UI changes?

Please note that we have GTK and Lesstif/Motif GUI for PCB program.

And: If we consider changes, we may consider giving PCB, gschem and
related tools a more "uniform" look and feel.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski