Re: gEDA-user: New icon set and UI changes

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Text is really fine for beginners and for people which do not use that
> software often -- tooltipps may be fine for remembering, but not so fine
> for learning.
> [Snip]

I don't want to turn this into a poll, but I wanted to give a
perspective from a new user of gEDA. and I disagree that tooltips are
insufficient for learning.

Once you use an icon a few times, it's easy to remember. If you only
make a single, simple circuit board, you'll use the line, via, select,
move, and rotate buttons more than enough to remember them, and likely
enough that you really want to know the shortcut keys.  I hardly use
the buttons for at all anymore, and any space spent on button text
which could instead be a bigger drawing window is, IMO, a waste.

I agree with Andrew.  We should use smaller icons, no text, with a
tooltip containing a description and the shortcut sequence.
--
Kevin Vermeer