Re: gEDA-user: New icon set and UI changes

John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/03/2010 10:54 AM, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
> > My problem is that I'm used to thinking of layers as physical layers, and I'm confused about
> > the logistics of using virtual layers.
>
> What I think we've been meaning as we talk about virtual layers is
> either a layer group of two or three that has vias between, or a
> subset of that for a special purpose.
>
> A very useful subset of 3 board layers
> that are going to have vias between would be a power routing group
> that has all the same size traces.  The same 3 board layers
> that are going to have vias between could also have virtual groups
> with narrower traces.
>
> another virtual group could be controlled impedance traces that use
> only two of the above three physical layers because they have the
> correct thickness and relative positions.   Then one could happily
> route with vias and trying to route out of the virtual group would
> not work, and probably remind you of the rules you wrote for the
> virtual layer.

This sounds very cool.

But how are route styles linked to layer groups? We can't require each
group to have a single route-style - even in your power supply example,
you would need to route power to different components.

Would each layer group have its own "mini-environment" that remembers
its route-style settings? When creating new route styles, would you
need to choose "only this layer group" or "all layer groups"?

Andrew