Re: gEDA-user: New icon set and UI changes

On 08/03/2010 10:54 AM, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
My problem is that I'm used to thinking of layers as physical layers, and I'm confused about
the logistics of using virtual layers.

What I think we've been meaning as we talk about virtual layers is
either a layer group of two or three that has vias between, or a
subset of that for a special purpose.

A very useful subset of 3 board layers
that are going to have vias between would be a power routing group
that has all the same size traces.  The same 3 board layers
that are going to have vias between could also have virtual groups
with narrower traces.

another virtual group could be controlled impedance traces that use
only two of the above three physical layers because they have the
correct thickness and relative positions.   Then one could happily
route with vias and trying to route out of the virtual group would
not work, and probably remind you of the rules you wrote for the
virtual layer.

JG
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX