Re: gEDA-user: New icon set and UI changes

On 08/03/2010 09:18 AM, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
What do you think about setting route-styles on a per-layer basis.

That could work before we  get virtual layer groups.  One would have to create layers that "go together"
so when a trace changes to another layer in the group that goes together, the trace width stays the same...

I think virtual layers is a concept that would speed results for beginners, since it simplifies
a necessary part of designing multilayer boards.  If you want an interface for dirt simple cases,
make a separate user interface.  Most of us here don't think of GUI programming as easy/fun, so
want one GUI for everything, thus the goal is usually to keep it user configurable.

A user configurable 2-layer board GUI
and user configurable 6 layer board GUI
would be great to distribute as optional ways to setup after building the source.
Default it to keep the users config, and ship with 2-layer-GUI for new installs to use,
but put a big note in the README that all you do to start out with "6 layer" GUI is
load an example gschemrc.6-layer and ~/.pcb/preferences.6-layer ~/.pcb/settings.6-layer
etc.

JG