Re: gEDA-user: New icon set and UI changes

"Kai-Martin Knaak" <knaak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If it were me, I'd suggest even more intrusive changes. From the top
> of my head:
>
> * icon bars, that can be docked or even moved outside the main window
> * icon bars that can be user configured.
> * simple keyboard input to move and place actions

I like this. My plan is to move toward "standard" keyboard shortcuts for
things like copy/paste, undo/redo, opening and saving files. Everything
else should be customizable.

Also, *everything* should have a keyboard shortcut. On the bus, even if
you have a pointing device, it's not going to do you much good.

Icons should be scalable, dockable, detachable and you should be able to
add/remove them to your heart's content. I'm not sure where the cursor
display should go, but if we shrink the status bar text (and make the status
bar as wide as the window!) it should fit down there. I'm looking into
Cairo right now to see what's possible and what's practical.

These are all priorities to me. But the current GTK code for all this is
pretty hokey and more than a little tangled. So it's going to be tough
going.

> * a more powerful find action
> * a find-and-replace action
> * a GUI way to more control on DRC rules
> * a GUI way to FreeRotate
> * a GUI ways to non 90Â arcs
> * a button or menu item to recalculate polygons
> * a handles at the polygon corners
> * a way to highlight the "current" object

Oh my. Maybe one day :)

> * automatic recalculation of rats.

This is probably very easy, and possibly very hard.

Andrew