Re: gEDA-user: DRC rule structure

Andrew Poelstra wrote:
There are two problems with this:

1. I would have to create bounding boxes for every object on the screen,
   because you never know if some weird part 10 inches away has a 10-inch
   clearance requirement.
If pcb-objects don't have bounding boxes as of now, there's something severly wrong
anyway
2. Small parts, like vias, are able to be completely contained within the
   bounding box - so checking for intersections won't help me
A bounding box test as I should have named it consists of several checks, one of which can be intersection. Since traces have finite width in reality one will perform 2 coordinate sorting tests (x and y), then find the closest point on the center line of a trace segment for all 4 corners to see if a corner gets touched and then intersections of the box lines
with the centers.
The fully included small part will be found by the fact that it's extents (another bbox) are fully included in both coordinate sorting tests, so no further treatment of the bboxes
is required but the rigorous geometry intersection is required.