Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

Andrew Poelstra wrote:

When you click the "new" button beside the view tabs, you'll get a popup
asking if you want to create a:
  o  New functional block
  o  New component (footprint)
  o  Custom view

So are you thinking of reusing the layout editor to edit the footprint view?
Then we could create pins or pads to get a new footprint with
existing footprints inside it.  The netlister would need to handle
footprints with no package similarly as we handle flattened hierarchy now.

Probably you're thinking of saving to the buffer
and convert to footprint.  the buffer method only allows one level I think,
no component within component.

I'd be happy to have a simple no hierarchy layout group with no new pads or
pins added that is savable.  Then no netlister changes would be needed,
the group could be handled by flattened hierarchy naming if you wanted
to put down repeated instances of it.

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX