Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

----- John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andrew Poelstra wrote:
>
> > No, that's pretty much it. There are two things I want beyond simply
> > "workspaces" to hold different tool settings for different functional
> > groups:
> >
> >   1. You can create a view based on anything, not just functional
> >      groups, as will be the default. This includes opening components
> >      in their own view and editing them, or saving views as components.
> >
> >   2. Functional groups give one more structure to attach DRC rules to,
> >      between individual components and the entire PCB.
>
> This sounds great!  If you save a view as a component, it would be good
> to have an optional way to backannotate a symbol for it into the schematic.
> Are you thinking that way?  To save a view as a component with pins and busses
> attached just like a normal component that came from a footprint?

My thinking was to have a flag set for views editing components - which
would do things like disable all layers except silk/pins/component, change
the "Save group" to save .fp files instead of .pcb files, etc.

That's a secondary plan, of course. Initially I'll just throw a "export
view as footprint" button somewhere, while we work out the details of how
views and functional blocks should work.

When you click the "new" button beside the view tabs, you'll get a popup
asking if you want to create a:
  o  New functional block
  o  New component (footprint)
  o  Custom view

Wherein "custom view" would allow you to create a filter range as per
my DRC rule proposal.

Andrew