Re: gEDA-user: subnets

Ouabache Designworks wrote:

> Asic synthesis has a step called "uniquification" where you create a module
> and
> instantiate it multiple times.  Uniquify  will create  a new module for each
> instance
> that can be modified independently from the others.  You can also modify the
> master to change all the instances.

Just a use case note: Although I am far from asic projects I would would
have loved to have such a feature in the quiver. The project required eleven
identical subcircuits. They had to be connected differently, though. So,
a simple copy-paste would not do. I addition, I don't like projects with
deliberately broken netlists.

There is a similar technique in vector graphics apps  like inkscape,
coreldraw and illustrator. They call it cloning.

> It can get a little messy in that once you modify an instance then you can
> no longer touch the master or else all changes to the instance are lost.

Sometimes, this is actually a useful feature. No need to cycle over all
instances if some via needs to be enlarged.

---<)kaimartin(>--

@Rick: Is this posting any different?
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
UniversitÃt Hannover, Inst. fÃr Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211