Re: gEDA-user: Linux Desktop f?r gEDA

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 12:35:38PM -0700, yamazakir2 wrote:
> Do you guys use your linux box for general desktop usage or only EDA?
> I ask because I have tried many times to make the switch to linux for
> general desktop usage but can't get over the inconvenience of it. I
> have a linux box specifically for EDA (gschem, pcb, spice simulations,
> etc), so I couldn't care less what the WM is. It could be motif for
> all I care.

UNIX for desktop, EDA, programming, server. Mostly Linux, most often
Debian testing. As for the earlier question in this thread, my WM is a
PIDwm (a modified version of dwm), but i spend >95% of my time on 80x25
VGA console anyway.

Back a while I tried to really use windows once. It lasted for like 3
weeks. I was trying hard, and tried to convince myself that what I
experience is only the learning curve and it will get better by time,
but the more I learned, the worse it became, so after that brief period
I replaced it with my first Debian-for-desktop-use-attempt. I was
switching away from DOS ('90s), and before that period I believed
Linux distros were good for server use and if I wanted to do cad work
and web browsing and things like that, windows would be better.

Ever since, I sometimes peek over the shoulders of windows users around,
and I what I see is that things I hated in those 3 weeks got advanced
and more dominant and things I missed are still missing or
misimplemented. Meanwhile I also got used to actually modify software I
use for so many years that I never give a try to non-free software
anymore, because I hate to figure out after a few days that I can't fix
something in it, due to legal/technical restrictions.

Regards,

Tibor