Re: gEDA-user: Linux Desktop für gEDA

On Aug 5, 2011, at 1:27 PM, yamazakir2 wrote:

> To this day I still am not sure why anyone would willing use a mac. I
> have been consistent in this stance for the past 20+ years when I was
> forced to use a mac in elementary school for the first time.

20 years ago was the time of systems 6 and 7, the Mac's low point. The basic problem was that the original Mac "system" was not really an "operating system". It was essentially a library of utility functions for standalone programs. While that was sensible for a graphical computer with 128k RAM, 64k ROM, and a floppy, it didn't scale well.

The common resource management that is the essence of an operating system was gradually added on as "features". This did not work well, causing conflict and instability that increased with successive system versions up to 7. By MacOS8, Apple had at least figured out the nature of the mess they were in, and were able to take some steps toward fixing it, but they didn't have a truly solid foundation until MacOSX.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx