Re: gEDA-user: Bug in 'FreeRotateBuffer()'? (WAS: Re: Line Thickness in Imported DXF Files; Rotating by Arbitrary Angle; UTF-8)

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 12:17:07PM -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 19:24:34 -0700
> Andrew Poelstra <asp11@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:29:59AM -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> > > Because of this bug (it is completely a bug from the user's point of
> > > view), as you suggested I always make my nominally-square pads
> > > slightly non-square.  Usually by +/- 0.01 mil or +/- 0.02 mil, but
> > > that might not be enough for good rotation... hopefully nanometer
> > > conversion will improve that significantly with no extra effort for
> > > us footprint designers.
> >
> > The problem is that the file-format still saves in cmils. (You can
> > use a text-editor to put the new units in, but then you have problems
> > with backward-compatibility.)
>
> Perhaps after the nanometer conversion has been thoroughly run through
> its paces in mainline pcb for a while, and we feel it is rock-solid, we
> can add a Preferences option to save .pcb files with coordinates and
> lengths in nm rather than cmil.

My thinking on this is to just not break the file-format anymore
until we switch to an extensible one. At that point we'll write
an importer and exporter to the old format -- and this exporter's
output could work with pcb versions back to 2007 (or earlier) just
as pcb does now.

Perhaps the new file format is too far away. (I for one won't
have time to do such a thing until next summer.) But it would be
nice if our current .pcb parser had no more cruft to deal with.

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net
Web:   http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew/