Re: gEDA-user: Gschem and footprints

kqt4at5v@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am a beginner and the way I am using gschem and pcb is quite awkward
> I open my schematic in gschem and open pcb
> Then when I add a component in gschem I switch to pcb to search for a footprint
> When I find the proper footprint in pcb I switch back to gschem and
> manually edit the properties to add the footprint name
> I MUST be doing something wrong

This is not exactly wrong, but there are more efficient ways:

a) Use gattrib. This is a little spread sheet style application that
lets you change attributes of all symbols in one window. Copy/paste
works in there, too.

b) Add footprint attributes to the symbol files in the lib you use.
Since the default lib is overwritten on update of geda, this really
calls for a local library. See yesterdays thread by John Hudak for
how to configure that.
That way, the symbol will be fully equipped with a reasonable
footprint when you insert it on the schematic sheet.

I personally prefer b) and hardly run gattrib.

The symbols in the default lib are very much stripped down in terms
of attributes. This is what is known as "thin symbols". I am in the
process of collecting a library of "fat symbols" in my section of
gedasymbols.org:
  http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/kai_martin_knaak/essential/essential.html
When ready, it will contain a selfcontained pair of symbol and
footprint library that is sufficient to get started with electronics.

(Apologies for the slow progress)

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak