gEDA-user: Layers and Buried/Blind Vias in gEDA

Hello all,

While following the discussion about layers, I wondered if the capability to handle buried/blind vias could be implemented in gEDA. I would think that not only a buried/blind via should "know" which layers it spans, but also each layer should be "aware" which layer it is above. While submitting gEDA layouts to Sunstone Circuits, I was asked about layer mapping (and I presume that other PCB fab houses have similar requirements). I think that if I interchange two inner layers when declaring the mapping of gerber files to actual layers, the board will still come out alright (although its EMC performance may be compromised) because the vias span all physical layers. That might NOT be the case if buried/blind vias were used because (inner) layer transposition may disturb the continuity of a buried /blind via. (The outer layers cannot be interchanged with other layers because physical components are soldered on them.)

I thought that discussing buried/blind vias in gEDA is very much related to the lively discussion about layers.

Regards,

Gus Fantanas