Re: gEDA-user: Foss-pcb Proposed plan from CERN

On 08/22/2011 11:29 AM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
The commercial package he wants to keep up with seems to be altium designer.

Oh,  I guess that's why I referred his request to others.  I like the
"radical flexibility" of gEDA tools without getting evangelical about it,
and KiCAD is closer to Altium already, so gEDA-PCB is unlikely to get CERN's
approval.

On 08/23/2011 11:47 PM, John Hudak wrote:
> No offense, but from all the stuff I've read from the gEDA base,
>     various blog postings, and freelance how-tos, a common topic that
>     always seems to come up is that with these tools and a knowledge of
>     scripting languages, one can do just about anything.  Well, pardon my
>     bluntness, but, I've forgotten more scripting languages than I know,
>     and I don't necessarily want to learn another one to make gEDA tools
>     work for me.

This is an old concept discussed many times on this list. gEDA is not near
to a windows app and is not likely to get there soon.  Unless Peter C. gets
hired as a top gun Altium conversion translation consultant...

On 08/24/2011 04:17 AM, Stephen Ecob wrote:
> It
> could benefit the gEDA community to adopt Altium refugees - they're
> used to spending $4K per year

Maybe Peter C. will be a hired gun after all...

On 08/24/2011 09:33 AM, Jared Casper wrote:
>  From my own experience, above the certain level of PCB
> complexity the intuitiveness and efficiency of the GUI become a
> paramount. "

I'd have to disagree.  Chips are complex.  Chips and dense boards depend on
some automation and a lot of complexity handling by humans.  The algorithms
kicked off by simple GUI check boxes are more important than GUI flamboyance.

JG