gEDA-user: Shadows for selected symbols?

As you may know some time ago I had the idea of using shadow effects for
highlighting of selected symbols in schematics. I put a picture on my
page:

http://www.ssalewski.de/PetEd.html.en

(Picture may be too large for the page, you may have to use something
like "show picture" in your browser to get a clear view.)

I am using shadow, lighter color and thicker lines when elements are
selected or the mouse pointer hovers over it. The effect is additive,
strongest result when pointer hovers over an already selected element.
It looks fine when zoomed in, but unfortunately it is not very easy to
find all selected elements when the display is small. The largest
disadvantage is, that we are limited with useful colors.

What I like is the clamping of lower linewidth, and the ability to move
elements without the need of first selecting it.

Best wishes,

Stefan Salewski