gEDA-user: slotting question

I think I'm doing something dumb. I've never used gschem's slotting functionality before; I've always drawn my schematics with the entire package. But I'm trying it now, it's doing something unexpected, and I'm sure it's just me doing something wrong.

I open up a new schematic, place two instances of 7404-1, edit the attributes of the second one, promote the "slot" attribute, edit the newly-accessible one, change it to "2", save it, save the sheet, exit gschem, restart, and load the sheet.

My inverter symbols have now been replaced with "entire package" (i.e., 14-pin rectangular) 7404 symbols.

I can't imagine this being the expected behavior. What did I do wrong? Can someone slap me with the great fish of clue?

            Thanks,
            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire