Re: gEDA-user: essential library -- plaese comment.

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 03:23:09 +0200
Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This of course implies heavy symbols. In fact, I made them super
> heavy by adding an attribute with a comma separated list of
> footprints. So dear light library lovers: This is explicitly not for
> you ;-)

First, I'll say that I am an advocate of lightweight symbols, and I
want to draw my schematic once, not having to delete and re-add symbols
when I decide to change a resistor from 0805 to 0603 footprint; or when
I change a 2 row, 6 contact connector to a single-row 6-contact
connector; or most significantly when I change a SOT-23 (3-lead SMT)
transistor to a 4-lead package including a tab; etc.

That being said...  I wouldn't say your method is âsuper heavyâ but
rather it is âflexibly heavyâ.

I see your idea of having not just one footprint in the symbol, but
multiple options for a footprint as an *improvement* to the current
heavyweight symbols, which only provide a single footprint option.  (Of
course advanced users can just edit the symbol instance in the
schematic and change the footprint, but then you might as well have
used lightweight symbols in the first place.)  If gschem could present
the user with the list of possible footprints, then this would be a
decent way for new users to get started and would give good flexibility
too.

Regards,
Colin