Re: gEDA-user: "revert" vs "reload"

Peter Clifton wrote:

> Picking GIMP and gedit as examples of popular, well written
> applications, they both use "Revert".

However, gimp is unlikely to be used like we do with *.sch and
*.pcb files. That is, use third party tools to manipulate them
and reload the result to the GUI.

gedit solves the situation differently: It detects when the
source file is changed. It then presents a modal dialog that asks
whether, or not to reload. So the user will never have to use
"revert" to update the text shown in the canvas of gedit.
Would it be hard to implement this for PCB?

> This is specified in the HIG:
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.0/menus-standard.html.en

Not quite. The description to the revert item reads:

  "Reverts the document to the last saved state. Present the user
   with a warning that all changes will be lost, and offer the
   option of cancelling before reloading the file."

With a number of recommended work-flows PCB and gschem do not
return to the last saved state. Instead, they update to the
current state of the source file. The gsch2pcb work-flow relies
on the ability to change the *.pcb file in the back of PCB.
Contrary to the meaning of the word "revert" the "revert"
action does not go back but forward.

Seen from that angle, my complaint with the current "revert"
is that it does not conform to the gnome HIG.

> So my preference is that we stick with "Revert" here.

Ok, I won't prepare patches.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak