RE: gEDA-user: Life and death for gEDA: portability...

<As for porting, guile has proven too hard to support for me...  So far,
<all users I know of who've attempted to use the guile based gnetman have
<asked me for help because of problems related to guile (which they
<percieve as gnetman problems).  So far, no users have asked for help
<about problems related to TCL, and I've even been able to create a
<native Windows port.  With limited time for supporting users, I have to
<go with TCL for now.  Also, it was easier to port to TCL from guile than
<from the old guile API to the new one!  When guile gets to the point
<that I can integrate it as easily as TCL, I'll do it.

What sort of problems have you run into? There was some talk about packaging
guile and all other needed libs in with gEDA so that there would be no
issues
with versions or locating libs in various distros. Would this help?

One of the nice things about OS software is that it tends to be rather
modular
so one could come up with a tcl_netlister in parallel with the current one.
I'd give it a shot but my IC design group is heavily into perl as the
"One_True_
Langauge".

John Eaton