Re: gEDA-user: Life and death for gEDA: portability...

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:30:18 -0500
Dan McMahill <dan@mcmahill.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 11:21:43AM +1100, Terry Porter wrote:
> >
> > Dan, your breadth of experience bodes really well for PCB I think, I'm using your
> > latest release right now and it's as smooth as silk, just like Gaf!
>
> unfortunately my experience doesn't include much of the real core of PCB.
>
> > Planing an article on GPL vs Freeware PCB design, I downloaded Protel Autotrax, the only non Gaf
> > "free" uncrippled pcb layout package I'm aware of.
>
> Whats your target publication and audience?

I had planned for it to show that the GPL offerings in EDA are vastly superior to the freeware
and crippleware available. My audience was to be the electronic news groups on Usenet.

>  I'd be happy to review anything.  I've thought
> from time to time about trying to put together an article for EDN or similar publication
> about free EDA tools.  Haven't quite gotten the time though.

How about I send you the draft when it's done, and you could use it as a part of an article
EDN may be interested in ?

I know you can handle a *.tex submission :)

> > Thanks for all the work that you have done on PCB, and thanks to the other developers, ie
> >  DJ Delorie..
>
> Don't forget harry eaton.

Ouch, sorry Harry (duh ...how could I forget!), and of course Thomas Nau before Harry.

>  He's done quite a lot.  In fact relative to him and DJ, I'm
> largely a coordinator although I have great plans.  Unfortunately, the "step 1:  win lottery
> to achieve copius free time" part hasn't been working out!

Perhaps an interesting article might generate some sponsors ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry