Re: gEDA-user: netlist -> schematic

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:17:40 -0500, Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> has anyone worked on or know of a netlist -> schematic translator?
>
> I'm looking for something which might help visualize the network
> produced by a tool which generates a netlist but no schematic.

Nothing pre-made springs to mind (I looked around for something like
this about a year ago) but if you aren't concerned with actually
editing the network afterwards, you might take a look at the graphviz
tools.

http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/

You could then write a script to translate your netlist format into
something like this:

graph my_graph {
    net1_U2_pin3 -- net1_U2_pin4 -- net1_U2_pin5;
}

and process it with 'neato'.

Come to think of it, you will probably have to use the 'subgraph'
feature to organize the nets coming out of components. Also, depending
on how important bus/net names are to understanding the structure, you
may need labels on net segments, etc.

--
- Charles Lepple