Re: gEDA-user: OT: need fine (5 to 10 mils) solder

> The component is an 16 pin SMT dip with about 9 to 10 mils between
> conductors that are 9 to 10 mils wide. My first thought was to glob
> it on and soak up the excess with braided wick. It can make a very
> neat job if you don't soak too much up but it takes more time than
> getting it "right" in the first place. I'll have to retry globing
> when I get boards with a solder mask.

If you're getting bridges, the blob is too big.  You should be putting
about as much solder on the iron as you expect to be used for the
pins.

You can start light and work your way up until all the pins are
wetted, rather than start big and have to take it back off.

Another tip for rework: If you pull a length of solder apart
lengthwise until it breaks, the section near the break will be thinner
than the rest.  Might be worth experimenting with.