Re: gEDA-user: OT: need fine (5 to 10 mils) solder

Thanks for the suggestions. As I have assembled 100 units, I have tried
many things.  As pointed out, it is certainly true that plenty of flux
can make a lot of difference. But as for blob soldering, it works for
larger components but I never got it to work for the small one. Maybe a
solder mask would help.

The component is an 16 pin SMT dip with about 9 to 10 mils between
conductors that are 9 to 10 mils wide. My first thought was to glob it
on and soak up the excess with braided wick. It can make a very neat job
if you don't soak too much up but it takes more time than getting it
"right" in the first place. I'll have to retry globing when I get boards
with a solder mask.

0.015 solder seems to be the common "smallest" size and that is what I
am using now. I haven't tried smaller but I think it would help to keep
it from bridging.  It is not hard to correct but I have to make another
100 units so the time can add up.  Solder paste would be nice to try
with a hot air unit as suggested. And a flux pen, next time. My DigiKey
order just went in today.

Regards,
David

--