Re: gEDA-user: gEDA gets some great press!

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 01:54 pm, John Eaton wrote:
> It always irk's me when someone says that Open Source isn't
> "professional caliber" or lacks user support.

But remember who said that.  It is just a vendor defending his
own product,  It is a vendor of low end cad, that could be
threatened by open source.  Although we don't like that, it is
really to be expected.

We really should take that as a challenge.  Take a critical look
at our own stuff, and ask what it would take to make it truly
"professional caliber".  In particular, look at how the tools
interact.

What really irks me is when educators say that.  Too many
schools with EE programs use only proprietary software and
black box proprietary hardware.  Often they use the "free"
version of proprietary software, that is crippled so it is just
adequate for homework assignments, then they back down on the
material taught to make it fit the crippled software.  Then at
the senior/grad level, they buy the full version, but only for
the lab, so the students need to actually go to the lab to do
simple simulations.  They live in the lab, just to use
proprietary software.  Then they graduate, and can't rerun
their own lab experiments because they don't have the
proprietary software, or the license expired.  I will shut up
now.