Re: gEDA-user: gEDA/PCB desktop icons and remote access?

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 05:55:46PM -0500, Bob Paddock wrote:

> The Boss Man at work has admitted that their big buck commercial PCB program
> is junk,and said I could set up a machine that would have gEDA/PCB.  Mostly
> because of the EETimes article (I've been pushing for PCB for a long time
> before that).
>
> The place is pure windows and they are going on "Linux is a toy for hackers"
> from a few years ago.  Obviously they are not reading the right press...
>
> To make this as painless as possible for the windows users, and to show
> that Linux/gEDA/PCB are not toys I'm planing on setting up a server that
> can run gEDA/PCB using TightVNC over the network.  Has anyone ever done
> something like this before with (Tight)VNC?  I was able to demo to the boss
> using his Internet Explorer under Windows to run PCB over the network using
> the server built into TightVNC.

Yes, I have designed two circuit boards using PCB with TightVNC, but in
my case I was using the Linux TightVNC client. I have since been able
to try the Windows version of the TightVNC client on a much faster
(client) PC but the performance was actually worse. This is all over a
wireless connection though, so you might not have a performance
problem at all. I didn't remember having any issues running PCB over
VNC though, the only problem was with the mode buttons not working but
that was not related to VNC. I patched that problem and the patch
should be in CVS. I also built Debian packages of PCB version 20040903
with this patch applied, don't know if that is of any help though
since you didn't indicate which Linux distro you're going with.

Good luck !

--
Daniel Nilsson