Re: gEDA-user: newbie questions

On Dec 4, 2005, at 2:49 AM, Ron Crummett wrote:
I am an electrical engineering student and will be taking a class in communication circuits next semester. My teacher has told me that we will be working a lot with WinSpice and, well, those first three little letters tell me that I probably won't be doing much of THAT on my Debian machine. So...

Ugh. I'd complain. You are, after all, paying for it.

In the past few minutes, I've downloaded WinSpice and run it successfully under WINE. It seems to work fine. My WINE installation is plagued by nasty font problems which I cannot seem to solve, but this shows up in everything, not just WinSpice...so I suspect that, if you can get a correctly-working WINE installation, it'll be fine.

So you don't have to go a-googling, here's where to grab WinSpice...it's a free ~6MB download:

  http://www.ousetech.co.uk/winspice2/html/download.html

Myself, I use ngspice under Solaris and MacOS X. I've not read much about WinSpice, but assuming they've not bastardized it, I'd imagine you'd do fine with ngspice.

What I'd do in your shoes (after complaining to the school that someone is ramming Windows down my throat) is get and build ngspice, install WINE, and get WinSpice running under WINE. Try to do your class stuff in a nice native ngspice installation first, and if you have trouble, you can always fall back to WinSpice under WINE.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire "I wonder what 'Error Code 1' means. That's
Cape Coral, FL what it said when it started smoking." -Jonathan Patschke