Re: gEDA-user: Putting FreeDog on IRC ..... was: Free Dog Gathering on Wed Dec 6th

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 05:08:39PM -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Greetings, gEDA-users --
>
> Regarding the upcoming Free Dog meeting this Wednesday (Dec 6th):
>
> >Can those not in Cambridge, MA, USA participate via IRC?
>
> Ales and I did some recon at the Cambridge Starbucks this morning.
> Unfortunately, they only have evil corporate pay-through-the-nose
> wireless networking available.  Therefore, this gathering will not be
> accessable to folks on the net.  As always, you *can* participate by
> coming to Cambridge for a live visit!
>
> Moving forward, we will discuss alternate venues where we can get
> free, community-based wireless network access.  The Boston area is
> full of spots with free wireless.  Indeed the mayor of Boston has
> recently announced a plan to have free wireless coverage over the
> whole city at some point in the near future [1].  Therefore, I hope
> that we can at least have an IRC channel up and running in time for
> January's meeting.  And we might have more! ..... like an audio feed

Is there a gEDA IRC channel or would people like to have one?

> and/or Skype or equivalent.  Please hang tight!
>
> Stuart
>
> [1] FWIW, I believe that Boston is a Johnny-come-lately to this
> party.  I believe that many municipalities across the US alreay have
> free municipal wireless.  Is the same true in Europe?

Depends on how exactly you define "free" and "municipal". Prague has a large
one for a suitable definition. Zurich surely doesn't have anything wireless,
not even commercial access.

CL<