gEDA-user: Re: New version of gEDA Suite availabl

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:05:57 -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:

> I would be interested in hearing experiences of other distro users.

Just tried the iso image on a Debian box (mostly testing/etch with some
packages from unstable/sid). This box already experienced the previous iso
image. So all necessary libs were already present and the configure script
did not complain about any missing component. In fact, the installer
happily compiled all components without the need to tweak anything.

I did not note any changes in the GUI of the installer. Thus, I still see
the same issues as last summer:

* Please include an option to install to the standard set of paths for
software not in the distro (/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib,
/usr/local/src, /usr/local/man, /usr/local/etc ...)

* I gave the installer the paths /usr/locla/geda-src and /usr/local/geda.
	With these paths the binary of gspiceui is placed in /usr/local/bin/bin/.
	Its documentation in /usr/local/bin/share/gspiceui. Some man pages are in
	/usr/local/geda/man, others are in /usr/locla/geda/share/man

* Please include an option to compile and install only some of the
components. In particular, I have no need for ngspice, gnucap, gspieceui,
verilog, gtkwave and wcalc. Yet, these tools take considerable time to
compile.

* There is no uninstall.

* The installer suggests to install necessary libraries from the iso
image. IMHO this should only be a fallback if everything else fails. On an
average linux box some kind of package manager is supposed to deal with
dependencies. Installing important libraries below the radar of the local
package manager can lead to funny problems in the long run and interfere
with an upgrade of the system. Therefore I'd strongly advise to look for
the needed libs in the distro rather than install is from the iso image.

* The installer produces a strange message on the command line:

kmk@kwak:~/$ /media/cdrom1/installer print: About to call gtk.main

/media/cdrom1/installer.exe:489: GtkWarning: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed
  ïïxÂMÃÂÂEÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÂÃ
                           ÂZRÃSÂÃÃÂÂEÃÂÃâÂMÃÂKÂÃÂï ïUïïït       ï:Oïïï:tmïUïïït ï

* Good to see a title page automatically placed in a new gschem sheet. I
usually attach some attributes like date, author and file name to the title
sym. If only the boxes are locked, the attributes can be edited
conveniently on the fly.  See my local A4 title sym below:

---------------------------8<----------------------
v 20060123 1
B 0 0 11600 8200 15 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
T 7400 1800 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
graphical=1
L 8800 700 8800 0 15 0 0 0 -1 -1
B 4100 0 7500 1800 15 0 0 0 -1 -1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
L 4100 700 10300 700 15 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 10300 1800 10300 700 15 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 10300 700 10300 0 15 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 11250 350 11150 100 15 0 0 0 -1 -1