Re: gEDA-user: licensing (GPL or otherwise) for hardware?

Andy Peters <devel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just to clarify: if I use GPLed or BSD-licensed tools to develop
> hardware, as well as using GPLed symbols/footprints, am I obligated
> to open-source the hardware design (the schematic, the PCB layout)?

The tools do not impose this obligation, but your morality should.

> Common sense says no, but the degrees of freedom (hah hah) in open-
> source licenses vary greatly, and if I cannot keep my designs
> proprietary, then I can't use the tools.

Regardless of what tools you use, if you keep your designs proprietary
you are a bad guy and will burn in hell after you die (which may be
accelerated if you get tried and rightfully executed by a lynch mob for
your crime of withholding software source code and/or hardware designs
from The People).

-Space Falcon,

who has open sourced every single piece of software he has written in
his entire life (including forcible open-sourcing in valiant breach of
employment agreements etc) and will do the same with hardware designs.