Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

Peter TB Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's called embedding. :)  Without a file-format change, the only
> non-ambiguous way of associating a symbol in the schematic with a symbol in
> the library/database/whatever is to use the field in the component
> specification reserved for the component name.  (This has the added advantage
> of reducing the amount of code that needs to be changed in gschem & libgeda).
> Of course, a local cache might well be a sensible part of a usable backend...
> The problem with promoting the attributes into the schematic by default is
> that the user might mess with them.  _Forcing_ the user to add the attributes
> to override them is a good way to make sure that the user only messes with
> the attributes from the database if he really means to.

I think attributes should be embedded, but not the whole symbol. Anyways, I
think we wont agree on that point, but I am sure there will be a solution
satisfying every need.

> Um... I think exactly the opposite.  What you're suggesting would just make
> the already-steep gschem learning curve even worse.  I'm trying to find a way
> to make it so that there is *one* unified part/symbol library that's
> sufficiently powerful and flexible for people to do whatever arcane things
> they like with it, while still being capable of being used in a simple way if
> that's required.  I honestly think this is achievable, and I hope you agree
> with me that it's a worthwhile goal...
>
>                                Peter

I have *nothing* against it, just thinking about what would be the easiest
solution to implement, yet keeping compatibility to the system what we have
today. To have an integrated gadget that can handle heavy/light symbol files,
databases, local cache, etc. IMHO would lead to lot of confusion. However, if
it had a crystal clear design, UI, etc., I wouldn't really have point to argue.

--
Levente
http://web.interware.hu/lekovacs