Re: gEDA-user: Fwd: Parts DB API: the story so far

John Doty wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2007, at 7:07 AM, Steve Meier wrote:

>> I have expressed concerns that the data isn't flat and thus isn't
>> suitable for flat files.
>
> The maps within a relational database *are* flat, and may be
> expressed as flat files. I have seen such an implementation. So, I
> think this is a false dichotomy.

Flat files might be bad to try and use on a chip design,
or large board, but then you could choose not to write them.
I think the flat files can be a path to results, then be made
optional when a good working database is hooked in, and giving results.

Trying to make the database optional even after developing its use
sounds hard.  Is there opposition to a database?  No database ever would
be limiting...

John Griessen

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX