Re: gEDA-user: Hanging a jack off the edge

Or futz with the silk screen, assuming it is just silk hangover that pcb
is complaining about.

That's what it's complaining about.  Can I do this without monkeying
around with the footprint itself -- that is, can I do this while laying
out my board?

   You can edit the footprint in your PCB file to remove the offending
   lines without modifying the library footprint.  Just do a search for
   the reference designator with quotes around it, e.g. "J2", and it will
   take you to the proper section.