gEDA-user: problems with PCB and large board

I'm working on a fairly large board (at least I think it's big - not
sure how PCB considers it).  The schematic is hierarchical, if that
matters. PCB version 20081128, GTK version.  Although the annotation
portion is not quite finished, I wanted to see how it looked so far.
There are over 2000 parts, give or take, in the layout.  I can load the
layout in and get all the components on the screen (when the board area
is set big enough).  I can load the netlist from the menu, but when I
try to optimize, the program bombs out with segmentation fault.

The first time I ran the gsch2pcb, I made a mistake and only a couple of
parts got included.  Fixed the mistake and ran it again, creating a
.new.pcb file.  Loading that brought the program to it's knees,  You can
see it trying to paint the screen, but it's painfully slow.  The
cross-hairs simply can't keep up with the mouse.  I'm assuming the
buffer being so full has something to do with it.  There was a thread
just recently talking about speed fixes and similar behavior.

One last thing - is it possible to load all the parts into the work area
but not located on the board itself?  Now that I think of it, maybe the
correct method is to make a large area, disperse all the parts, then
draw an outline layer that represents the actual board.  Is the accepted
method?

gene