Re: gEDA-user: problems with PCB and large board

> I can load the netlist from the menu, but when I try to optimize,
> the program bombs out with segmentation fault.

Not surprising.  The optimizer can be somewhat fragile at times.  (The
global puller is worse).

> trying to paint the screen, but it's painfully slow.  The
> cross-hairs simply can't keep up with the mouse.

The lesstif one works around this by only redrawing when the system is
idle, which makes it a bit more usable for these heavy-draw cases.

> One last thing - is it possible to load all the parts into the work area
> but not located on the board itself?

Nope, sorry.

> Now that I think of it, maybe the correct method is to make a large
> area, disperse all the parts, then draw an outline layer that
> represents the actual board.  Is the accepted method?

Yup.