Re: gEDA-user: OT: Recommendations for laptop?

Mark Rages wrote:

> I use a similar, but lower-end, setup, with Ubuntu under virtualbox on
> a 1st-gen macbook.
>
> It works, but I much prefer CAD work on a real desktop with a
> multi-button mouse.  It's hard for me to even function in gEDA with
> the one-button mouse.  How to you guys cope?

Ahhh... well, I've hated scratch-n-sniff pads since day one.  I prefer
trackballs, so I carry around a Logitech trackball everywhere, which
gives me  trackball, scroll wheel, and three buttons.  I basically don't
use the scratcher at all.

With a trackball, the Macbook is great for Geda running in the X-windows
subsystem.  The screen size is an issue, but that is only a problem when
I am away from home; at home I plug into an external monitor.  The
biggest problem with that is the dialog windows pop up on the first
screen (which is the laptop screen) instead of the external monitor
where I have the application window.  That is a misfeature, but I can't
say if that is a misfeature of gschem/pcb or a misfeature of the window
manager.

One thing I've always liked about the Thinkpad's/Lenovo's is the
excellent feel and behavior of the "pressure stick".  Works great.  My
new Lenovo has both a stick (which I like and use) and also a scratcher,
which keeps getting in the way because I keep accidentally dragging a
finger over it and losing my cursor...

-dave