Re: gEDA-user: OT: Recommendations for laptop?

I am at the second laptop now. And I had trouble installing Slackware on
both.
With the first one, a MSI L720, I had problems with sound and wireless but
I had them working after a week of net digging and a few hours of kernel
hacking.
With today's kernels it would probably work out of the box now that
RaLink wifi
drivers are in the kernel. The last problem I had with it, probably
because of RoHS,
some solder joints got some tiny cracks. Lucky me - for now just on the
power lines.

The second one, a HP Pavilion dv6700, all worked fine with Linux except the
wireless drivers. It seems that I got a particular Atheros chip that
took me more
than 2 months of net search to have it working. Only a mysterious
combination of
drivers and HAL binaries work for it. Keep an eye on madwifi project if
you choose HP.

On the other side, the reason I write this message from the HP is
because it can play
Openarena and Nexuiz very very well. And I like to see the CPU down from
2GHz to
800MHz when no serious computation power is needed.

Other than these, I miss the 17'' screen and the full keyboard (with
numpad) from the
old MSI.