Re: gEDA-user: OT: Recommendations for laptop?

On Fri, 2008-12-26 at 07:33 -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:

> So, does anybody in here have recommendations for a good laptop?  Or
> do you have any laptops to avoid?

I'm a gEDA user who happens to work for HP in a relevant role.  See
www.gag.com/~bdale for details if you wish.

All of the notebook computers in the business series from HP are tested
for use with a couple commercial Linux distributions.  If you pick one
of the units with Intel graphics and wireless, which means you'll also
be getting an Intel CPU, then you're likely to be very happy with the
resulting experience using Linux.

For example, I'm typing this in Debian on a 2510p.

It's possible to have a good experience with many of the consumer HP
notebook models too, but it's much harder for me to provide simple
guidelines like the above since there's so much hardware variation in
the consumer series.

My best advice, regardless of which vendor you choose, is to troll
interesting looking models, then do some web searching to see if people
have reported good or bad experiences loading and using Linux on that
model.  And if you end up buying something retail, take a live-boot CD
along and see if the sales people will let you try it on a demo unit
first.

Bdale