Re: gEDA-user: electrolytic capacitors

Peter Clifton wrote:
> It will still have had its life-time shortened.
>
> The spec you quote above, AIUI, means that after somewhere between 1000
> and 5000 hours of operation at 105 degrees centigrade, the cap (as
> measured at 20 degrees) will be outside of its quoted specifications.
>
> I can't remember the exact numbers, but derating to lower temperatures
> has a stupid factor of lifetime increase. It might even be as much as
> double the life-time for every 10 degrees drop in working temperature.
>
> I guess that merely being at elevated temperature is also lifetime
> degrading. You circuit wouldn't need to be on for the electrolyte to be
> degrading.

Looking at the data sheet, they claim after being exposed for the test,
the device will return to to within +/-20% original value, and the
tan-delta will be within 200% original.  So the thing gets lossy, I suppose.

Is the endurance a cumulative thing?  I've got a requirement of around
3.5 A ripple current (although I really need to double check this in
simulation), which is a lot of ripple.  I planned to use 2 caps in
parallel, each with about 1.8A max ripple.  But I'm worried that
eventually, the things won't do their job.