Re: gEDA-user: electrolytic capacitors

On Saturday 27 December 2008, Dan McMahill wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> They can explode pretty violently, so let me tell you a story.  Back in
>> the mid-60's I came across a tube type, mobile cb radio that had to be one
>> of the few attempts to build one for a 6 volt vehicle system, and predated
>> the old Johnson whiteface by probably 10 years.  My pickup at the time, a
>> 52 ford, had long since been converted to 12 volts, and I was in the
>> radio, on the kitchen table, moving wires to convert it to 12 volts.  I
>> missed one without realizing it, and had it running on a 12 volt supply
>> for test.  It worked really really well, talking to the neighbors on a
>> piece of wire laying on the floor for an antenna.  But after about 15
>> minutes the main filter capacitor let go, and the top of the can put a
>> quarter sized print in the plastered ceiling that was about 1/4" deep.
>> I'm glad I wasn't in front of it at the
>
>too funny.  My exploding cap story is also related to automotive
>electronics.  The explosion happened at 2 AM when I was in high school.
>  Mom and Dad were not too thrilled about it if I recall correctly.
>
>Makes a lasting impression though doesn't it?

Yup, one I sure won't forget this side of the rapture.  It left my ears
ringing slightly, but they've done that since back in the mid 60's when I
wore out the first 2 barrels on Old Meat in the Pot, shooting on my own
property with 2 good sized trees less than 10 feet away from the front of the
bench, without earmuffs.  The back blast off those trees was substantial. :(
Now at 74, I've been considering a hearing aid, but can't seem to get my hand
to write a check for a decent used car that fits in my ear.

>-Dan

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy,
But it's very funny -- did you ever try buying them without money?
		-- Ogden Nash