Re: gEDA-user: electrolytic capacitors

> [Electrolytics] can explode pretty violently, so let me tell you a
> story.  [...785V on a 450V cap...serious dent in plaster...]

My exploding cap story is not quite so impressive, but I know I
certainly found it convincing.  I put together a circuit - can't even
remember what it was, now - on one of those solderless breadboards.
Turned it on and it seemed to be working, but then I heard this hissing
noise.  I was just starting to try to locate it when the cap let go.
Fortunately it was a small one (perhaps half a millicoulomb rating);
all it did was make a bang and a small cloud, which settled in moments
to cover everything within about a 6" radius with a thin film of
something oily-feeling.  On reflection, I realized I'd been running it
at something like twice its rated voltage.

Ever since I've been substantially more careful to think about voltage
ratings when selecting electrolytics.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx