Re: gEDA-user: Useless or harmful stuff

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:15:36 -0800, Dave N6NZ wrote:

>> Some people may think it is a good decision to upload all their stuff
>> to gedasymbols, including gschem.log, footprints just called button.fp
>> without any useful comments, or careless designed symbols.
>>
>> I think some of us including myself should be some more carefully and
>> ponder about the benefits before uploading. Some stuff may be useless,
>> some may be even harmful if designed careless with bugs.

Well, I upload my whole working set of symbols and footprints. As such
they are of course biased by the projects I do and infected by the bugs I
didn't manage to squash. Having everything uploaded reduces the hassle
considerably. I just use gedasymbols like a regular CVS server and add a
comment line in the index file.

>  So... "I need a TQFP 44, 0.8 lead pitch, 8 mil
> trace, 8 mill space, 10 mil silk, hand solder sized pads..." is
> something you feed to a generator instead of a search engine.

IMHO, the more work saving requests are "I need a footprint for an Alps
stereo potentiometer, series RK14K122" (Yes, I really need such a
footprint right now ;-)

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak