Re: gEDA-user: LVS and other pcb related questions

> However, from what I can tell, there still isn't any concept of lvs
> in pcb, or am I missing that?

PCB doesn't know about LVS, stripline, differential pairs, or any of
that.

> If not, is there at least a way to make sure that your netlist and
> pcb have exactly the same number of components with the proper
> refdes indicated in your netlist (as in, there are no missing
> components, duplicate components, or misnamed components)?

The "o" (optimize rats) does a bunch of these checks.

> 2. I looked at the way pcb instantiates a component into the drawing

No, there's no way to reference an external footprint like that.

I'm working on a way to automatically replace footprints if you select
a different footprint, but it doesn't autodetect (nor should it :)
when a footprint file is edited (same file name).

> 3. Right now, I am running gnetlist -g PCB on my schematics to
> generate the pcb netlist file. The problem is I have multiple
> schematics that I am generating a netlist from and I am manually
> appending the refdes to indicate which schematic the netlist comes
> from so all my refdes will be unqiue. (for example, instead of U1, it
> will be U1.A1). Has anybody developed some kind of script or flow to
> solve this problem? I would like to get away from doing this manually
> eventually.

Use gsch2pcb and a "project file" (I name mine .prj) like this:

m4-pcbdir /envy/dj/geda/share/pcb/m4
elements-dir /envy/dj/geda/gedasymbols/www/user/dj_delorie/footprints
schematics power.sch furnace.sch gumstix.sch zone1.sch zone2.sch zone3.sch zone4.sch driver1.sch driver2.sch driver3.sch driver4.sch
output-name board

Then just "gsch2pcb board.prj"

> 4. Why doesn't pcb play nice with pins that aren't numerical? For
> example, if I have a netlist that references U1-vcc, and a pin named
> as U1-vcc, pcb will complain and won't highlight the pin/net. What
> property of the symbol in gschem is gnetlist using to determine what
> the pin number is?

The rule is: don't end a pin/refdes with a lower case letter.  Those
are historically reserved for slot IDs.