Re: gEDA-user: LVS and other pcb related questions

On 12/01/2009 11:57 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> However, from what I can tell, there still isn't any concept of lvs
>> in pcb, or am I missing that?
>
> PCB doesn't know about LVS, stripline, differential pairs, or any of
> that.

I think he means LVS as in Logic vs Schematic - a form of layout
checking commonly found in ASIC design, not LVDS as in Low-Voltage
Differential Signaling.

In the ASIC world, LVS is a fairly complex problem that usually involves
re-creating the netlist from the layout, then comparing that to the
original netlist. This requires fairly detailed understanding of device
structures to infer higher-level functionality. For PCB it may be more
trivial, since all that need be re-created is the netlist itself, not
the devices. Nonetheless it's not simple.

Eric