Re: gEDA-user: blue sky ideas - written down finally

Regarding component databases:

I'm working on a parts manager for gEDA. Although not completely functional yet, the source is located in the git archive.

The program allows a user to browse and select a component from a database. The parts manager will instantiate the component and then perform the relevant attribute substitution. Typical attributes include manufacturer part number and value but can vary depending on the type of component.  The user can then transfer the component to a schematic using the clipboard.  Or, the user can export a heavy symbol to a file.

I haven't examined the problem of mapping footprints yet, but the parts manager has the notion of a package.  A component has one package then each package can have many footprints.  (The package to footprint relationship is actually many-to-many.)

I like the idea of an application, later in the workflow, that can examine the component's package and then determine the appropriate footprint.

Cheers,
Ed