Re: gEDA-user: blue sky ideas - written down finally

> I was thinking of the example of the automatic mapping, like knowing
> that something should be an analog ground.
>
> maybe something like an attribute
>
> GND|analog_ground=7
>
> GND is analog_ground

Perhaps the default is to combine pins with the same names, but I'd
rather not try to guess what they should be connected to - and neither
should the symbol.  A project-wide rule about it would be useful,
though.

It would be nice for the netlister to finally understand about
different nets being connected together, though, like GND and AGND.

> A package is a footprint and a mapping,  how will you cope with parts
> with the same footprint and different pinouts?  These parts exist, but
> I don't have a particular example on the top of my head

A component is a footprint, mapping, and various other attributes.
Different components have different mappings.  Different components
have different packages.  A good example is linear regulators - +5 and
+3.3 often have two pins swapped, but no other differences in symbol
or footprint.

So if you've gotten down to a linear regulator in TO-220, you'd still
have to make some choices to get it specific enough for the sch->pcb
flow to succeed.